Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

DynamicContent vs Blocks

Vote:

I'm a working on a website with fairly complex HTML.
My plan was to create a richtext editor field and allow the editor to insert blocks / DynamicContent, instead of creating a ContentArea with bunch of blocks.

My main concerns are:

- Can we have edit / view buttons for blocks (like we have for DynamicContent)?

- When should we use DynamicContent instead of Blocks?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 28, 2015 11:19
Vote:

I would say don't use dynamic content. They are more difficult to maintain and sometimes the editor is not that stable in my opinion.

if using on page edit I think your experience with blocks inside xhtml fields will be better.

Jan 28, 2015 11:26
Vote:

Thanks Alf!

Blocks are fine if all of them are inside 'For this page' folder.
If they're located all over the place, then it's quite difficult to locate the correct one.
It would be nice to have the edit button next to blocks.

Another challenge I have is adding some text between two blocks / DCs.
For example, if I drag&drop two blocks / DC to the XHTML field, and then want to add some text in between, the only way to do that is to use 'Edit HTML Source' button.
Moving blocks / dynamic content inside the XHTML can be quite painful in Google Chrome :)
Is there a simpler (more editor friendly) way?

Thanks!

Jan 28, 2015 13:45
Vote:

I did more testing with IE. Editing is slightly better than in Chrome.

Jan 28, 2015 14:40
This topic was created over six months ago and has been resolved. If you have a similar question, please create a new topic and refer to this one.
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.