Try our conversational search powered by Generative AI!

Orphan blocks

Vote:

Hello

Sometimes when adding/deleting block types I end up with orphaned blocks.

The block type cannot be deleted because there is one block that uses it. I can click the link to reach the block, but it is not used anywhere, so I cannot reach the dropdown menu to put it in trash bin.

I'm not really sure where this block was created. Ccould it be that this was a local block for another block that has been deleted? This is scenario that well could happen in production environments when the demands change.

Anyway, what is the best suggestion for getting rid of this block. Is there some trick in the admin interface to delete blocks that are not visible anywhere where there is a drop down menu? Or what action can I safely do in the database to place it in the trash bin?

Regards

Apr 23, 2014 16:11
Vote:

Noone?

Apr 25, 2014 11:38
Vote:

Same issue. Can't believe no one has any suggestions...

Jun 18, 2014 17:31
Vote:

For me this was in a development database. So my solution was to start from scratch with a bland database.

If you have problems in a production environment and you can unitilize EPiServers support then I'm sure they can help you.

Jun 19, 2014 9:34
Vote:

The "Remove Unrelated Content Assets" scheduled job takes care of orphaned "For this page" folders and the content in them. By default it's set to run once a week, but you can start it manually from Admin mode to immediately get rid of oprhaned blocks and media.

Dec 04, 2014 20:37
Vote:

That job does not remove orphaned blocks in my case. Is there any programmatic way to list and remove them?

Oct 19, 2016 11:48
Vote:

What is a parent of this block. You can use ContentRepository to find ParentLink - or if you have EPiServer Find it is easier in there - Based outcome you can create ScheduledJob to delete these kind of blocks. But I'm really keen  to know what is a parent? 

Oct 19, 2016 11:58
* You are NOT allowed to include any hyperlinks in the post because your account hasn't associated to your company. User profile should be updated.